tattoos

Sunday, July 5, 2009

FULL REVIEW: Honda Accord 1st generation 1976 to 81 (PART 1)

In this blog entry, I’m previewing what's in store for next blog. Watch this space... But I need 2 1st generation Honda Accord owners to write a review on their cars... Spotted 1, looking for another...

The car must be STOCK Standard, No rust, will take Front, Rear, Side, 3 quarter fr and rr view, dashboard, seats and boot... And I will write a NICE article on it... I don't mind you reader/s doing the writing...

(3)
In the meantime, I present you 5 owner's review from "www.carsurvey.org" from different part of the world.

This entry is not done by me… Rather by our friend’s from Carsurvey.org. I’m WAITING FOR AT LEAST 2 Accord Owners to turn up so that I can review their car “ORIGINALLY”.

(4)

Without further ado, here’s a selection of owner’s review from Carsurvey.org:


Owner 1: 1978 Honda Accord review from UK and Ireland

General comments?

Considering this car is twenty years old, it still looks modern. It starts beautifully, runs smoothly and looks great. The mechanicals are fine, but the bodywork does have rust poking through, which I'm fighting and winning (currently). The only problem is getting hold of spares now. What a car!

Owner 2: 1980 Honda Accord review from Australia and New Zealand


"Excellent, reliable and importantly, cheap!"
General comments?
This car was bought in an emergency, and has in 5 years broken down once ever (thermostat). This is the second time someone in the family has owned an Accord of this age, and I am surprised at what a reliable little car it's been. Obviously, the comfort of larger, newer cars is just not there, and I realise that age is very soon going to catch up with herI couldn't recommend a car like this more, we've never had a problem with brakes, steering or rust, and most importantly, she's never come back from a service with the mechanics concerned for the safety of the car.

Owner 3: 1981 Honda Accord review from Australia and New Zealand

"Very reliable, if you can excuse the rust"
What things have gone wrong with the car?
Structural rust has basically killed it.
Camshaft had to be re-ground.
Muffler.
Absolutely nothing else.

General comments?
.
The Honda was a very smooth car to drive, mainly due to the "Hondamatic" variable auto transmission.

Rust started to appear quite early, as what happens with most Hondas. Being white didn't help as white cars reflect heat and therefore don't dry as quickly.
Rust in the sills was worst as when the car was up on the hoist the doors seized shut, it basically bended. It therefore failed it's safety check. We had the rust repaired, but kept coming back, like cancer for cars. It is now de-registered and sitting in my dad's barn.

This car was extremely reliable mechanically wise and it saddens me to see it now.

Owner 4: 1981 Honda Accord LX Hatchback review from North America
"Great first car for us poor kids"


General comments?
This car was cheap, $200.00 was all I paid. It basically reliable. Even though it's so old, it still can run like some normal cars today and it can run on the freeway just fine. This car is prefect for a teens first car, it can be driven into the ground and will keep on going.

Lastly, owner 5: 1982 Honda Accord DX review from North America
"After 21 years, it's easily the best car I have ever owned, it's like a child to me!"


What things have gone wrong with the car?

I had the engine rebuilt at 192k because it was smoking due to auxiliary valves leaking $1900.

New carburetor at 220k: $750 (I installed it). Idle was impossible due to some dirt in low speed jet. I could have rebuilt it, but went for that great Honda quality...
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve stuck open, causing vacuum leak at 283k -- $100 part.

Driver's seat got worn, so I had both front seats recovered -- $200.
Rear window was shattered one morning, and when I asked Honda dealer about replacement glass, they volunteered that it was covered under some sort of recall (the defroster caused it?), and so I only had to pay for the install cost.

General comments?

I do a lot of preventative maintenance, so things have gotten replaced before they really needed it. I do almost all the work myself, except when special equipment or lifts are necessary. Filters, hoses, batteries, tuneups, brakes, struts, wheel bearings, timing belt, muffler.

This car is great to drive and I really enjoy maintaining it myself. People are really surprised to hear that I have owned the same car for 21 years. It was damn near new when I bought it and it's getting hard to find the parts at the dealer now, but the newer cars are harder to work on and don't get the gas mileage (up to 45 mpg!)

Some really amazing things: the only lights that have burned out in the 21 years I've had this car are the headlights! All the others -- brake, turn signals, instruments, even glove box lights -- are still the originals! Also-- I still have the original catalytic converter on the car with 283k miles and it still passes California smog tests with ease!

Still has the original paint - only a few parking lot dings. I had someone rear-end me lately and thought "Oh no, my 21 years of driving this car with no wrecks has come to an end!", but it turned out that the damage was only a broken tailight, bent chrome trim, and punctured plastic bumper, so I just replaced the parts and it's cool again.

I take the car for granted at times, but then get in someone else's car and am impressed with how much more solid an comfortable the Accord is. A lot of people think that the car is much newer, like 1995, because it's in such good shape, and while I can take some credit, it's just incredibly reliable and solidly built. If I can continue to get parts for this car, I KNOW that I can get another 100k miles out of it!!

End carsurvey owners' review, here's another surprise: The SPECIFICATIONS of Honda Accord CVCC:

Engine

Bore × stroke 74.00 mm × 93.00 mm 2.91 in × 3.66in
Cylinders S-4 Displacement 1.6 litre, 1599 cc
(97.577 cu in) Type SOHC

Compression ratio 8.40:1

Maximum power 81.1 PS (80.0 bhp) (59.7 kW)
@ 5300 rpm Specific output 50 bhp/litre, 0.82 bhp/cu in

Maximum torque 120.0 Nm (89 ft•lb) (12.2 kgm)
@ 3000 rpm bmep 943.1 kPa (136.8 psi)

Specific torque 75.05 Nm/litre

Dimensions and weights;


Wheelbase 2380 mm 93.7 in

Track front 1400 mm 55.1in
in rear 1410 mm 55.5in

Length 4343 mm 171 in

Width 1618 mm 63.7 in

Height 1359 mm 53.5 in

Length:wheelbase ratio 1.82

Ground clearance Kerb weight 930 kg 2050 lb

Weight distribution (Front)

Fuel capacity 50 litres

Brakes: FF: Disc / RR: Drum

Performance: 0-100km/h: 13.3 secs (15+/- secs for 3 speed Hondamatic)
Top speed: 170km/h (Manual).

Fuel consumption (on a 1979 Accord): 31mpg City; 42mpg Highway. 37mpg averaged averaged

End of specifications, here's parting shot:(2)

(

SOURCES:
1)http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/honda/accord/
2) http://www.oldjapanesecar.com/accord/accord.jpg
3) http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/2008-honda-accord-7_460x0w.jpg
4) http://pds8.egloos.com/pds/200801/22/81/a0001681_4795fa38ae9c5.jpg
5) http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=23485

That's all folks, thanks for having the time and patience to read this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger